My photo
, Wyoming
Thanks for visiting Sauce du Jour. Feel free to share a great recipe, leave a comment, or make me dinner. I'll bring hors d' oeuvres and the wine! To visit my website go to www.tamaralittrell.com Thanks for visiting the Sauce ~Tammi

Jul 2, 2011

Nacho Masterpiece

I'll admit that I am a fairly competent cook and that I've been known to create a few recipes that are definate keepers, some could even be considered a work of genius. Ok, I'm done bragging. This creation walked that fine line between delectable and disaster. 
      It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time…I was calling it Stuffed Nachos.  Think about it.  Stuff a chip with melty cheese and then top it off with an amazing fresh, fruity salsa. Brilliant, I know!  In theroy.
     This is when I will admit that I have been known to beat a pretty good idea to death. I mean, Leonardo da Vinci knew the exact moment when the Mona Lisa became a masterpiece, which was right before he gave her eyebrows. Michelangelo knew that his statue of David was finished before he got around to putting clothes on him.  My point is this: some people know when they have created a masterpiece and when it's time to quit. I am not one of those people.
     But back to the nachos...I had some wonton wrappers that needed to be used up so I grated up some sharp cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses, mixed in a generous amount of diced green chilies, a little cumin, and some chili powder. 
Then I filled the wonton wrappers up all pretty and sent them to the hot tub, where they fried up all crispy and had that dab of cheesey heaven that was just begging for it. Because I also had a pineapple that needed to be used up I made a pineapple salsa and served it with them. 
     I gotta admit they were dang good! Crispy on the outside, tasty cheese melting on the inside and then that cool, fresh fruit salsa on top. Ahhh, (sigh) I could almost see them in a picture in a cookbook. My life long taste tester, who by the way is under paid and over fed, gave them The Big Guy Stamp of Approval on the first bite. I’ll also admit I should have stopped right there and called it a day, happy with my little piece de resistance. But no.
     This is the part where I beat that good idea to death. I thought if they were that goodhot out of the grease with all that melty cheese inside, just think how good they would be if I popped them in the oven and topped them with even more cheese and then served them like real nachos...you know, with some beans, jalapenos, and diced tomatoes. I would calld call them “Loaded Stuffed Nachos,” when Bon Appeitit called me for the recipe.  Mmmm, just sounds good, huh? Well this is where it got ugly. 
      Those poofy, crispy, triangles fell like a soufflé and the cheese that I had topped them with pretty much turned to grease, turning them into a soggy, limp mess.  Sorry, but I can’t share that picture with you because I was busy trying to put out the grease fire that the paper towels had ignited and honetsly, it just didn't seem like a very good photo op at the time.(Authors note: fire on a boat is a BIG no-no.)
     So go ahead and make the nachos and the salsa, because they were delizioso, but trust me when I tell you that it's not necessary to dress em up any fancier. There was probably a pretty good reason why David isn't wearing clothes.    

2 comments:

  1. You are sooooo funny. I love you recipes. The first one looks good. But we have all had the feeling we just need to take it to the next level. How funny. Keep cooking and writing, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June, Whew...It's comforting to know that there are other overachievers in the kitchen! Let me know what recipes you make, I always apprecieate the feedback. Thanx for writing and for reading.
    Tammi

    ReplyDelete