My photo
, Wyoming
Thanks for visiting Sauce du Jour. Feel free to share a great recipe, leave a comment, or make me dinner. I'll bring hors d' oeuvres and the wine! To visit my website go to www.tamaralittrell.com Thanks for visiting the Sauce ~Tammi

Aug 23, 2011

Why You Should Milk A Corn Cob

A couple of nights ago I created thee best recipe ev-ver! Ok...I am aware that I say that everytime but this time I really mean it.  Well, I didn't really create it...it's more like I stold it. The idea for it anyway. 
    While dining at Justas Drugstore, which just may be The Best Restaurant In The Whole World (more about that at a later date) we wallowed in what the menu called “corn scented mashed potatoes.” I’m here to tell you that they were roll-your-eyes-in-the-back-of-your-head good. Since I knew that there was not a snowballs chance in hell in getting the actual recipe from the chef without writing to the RSVP section of Bon Appetit, and since The Big Guy was desperate for some more of that golden goodness, I did what a girls gotta do and what a girls gotta do is make up her own recipe.
          I may not be above stealing someone else’s idea, but I do have certain food principles...like I’m not about to rip-off the name, so I am calling mine “corn spiked mashed potatoes”. Look closely, you’ll notice the difference. Scented, spiked…see? Are you judging me?
     I decided that to get the best flavor possible, I would need to “milk” those little corn on the cobs. In case you are wondering if they have impossibly small teats, let's just say that I persuaded them to give up the milk by showing them just what I am capable of doing with an 8” chef’s knife.
         My life-long taste tester’s eyes fell into the back of his head and he did that leg kick thing that he does, when something is so good that it should be against the law.  Since there wasn’t anything obvious that I could think of that he needed to be sucking up for, I took him at his word when he said they were even better than the ones Jonathan Justus had served. Hah! Take that Master Chef! 
     The Doc and Mrs. Lexus were our dinner guests that night and they also vouched for their yummy-ness and did the eye roll, leg kick thing when the met up with the first bite. They are the most impossible dinner guests to please so when I saw them sneaking out with the leftovers, I knew we had a winner here.  
     Folks, I present you: “Corn ‘Spiked’ Mashed Potatoes”.  Run, don’t walk to the kitchen and start milking those cobs! Just be gentle.
I served these with salmon, which was on a bed of
grilled mini sweet peppers and grape tomatos, topped
with toasted pine nuts and drizzed with basil oil.

Since I didn't write down a thing while I was making them, I'm just winging the amounts here so adjust as necessary, which means more cream and butter may be necessary. I hope Paula Dean is reading this because it would be right up her alley and maybe she'd invite me on the show! Go to the "Sides" tab at the top of this page to view it. 

If you are reading this and have not signed up to be a follower, I have just one word for you. Why the hell not? How do you expect to be a winner in the monthly draw if you don't play?  Last months lucky winner was Shane Rice. He won a new Dodge pickup! Congratulations Shane!

No comments:

Post a Comment